The Hamilton Spectator
Saturday, May 24, 1997
pages A1

`We never expected this'

Hockey head resigns a day before porn charges known

by Josh Brown

FLAMBOROUGH -- A Millgrove-area man facing child porn charges resigned as president of the Flamborough Hockey Association the night before police released his name to the public.

"He came in Wednesday night and gave a brief statement to the executive board saying he was resigning because of the allegations against him", said Nancy Boyle, vice-president of the association.

"The meeting was one of shock. We never expected this sort of thing to happen."

Richard Janes, 44, was charged with possession of child pornography, distributing child pornography, and corrupting a child after the Ontario Provincial Police Project P pornography crime unit and Hamilton-Wentworth police raided his house May 15.

Police seized two computers with files containing 5,000 pornographic pictures, more than 1,000 of them depicting children involved in sex acts with other children and adults.

Police said some of the files had been downloaded from the Internet and others had been scanned from books or magazines.

Janes made a brief appearance yesterday in Ontario Court (provincial division) and was remanded to June 16.

His wife, Marianne, 40, is charged with corrupting a child and is scheduled to be in court June 16.

Phil Homerski, spokesman for the Hamilton Health Science Corp., said Marianne Janes had asked for and received a leave of absence from her job as a clinical nurse specialist in the neonatal ward at McMaster University Medical Centre.

A 15-year-old youth, who cannot be identified under the Young Offenders Act, is also charged with possessing and distributing child pornography. He will appear in court June 2.

Richard Janes was president of the association for a year, after eight years on the executive board, and coached players aged 10 to 13 for at least two years at the North Wentworth Community Centre at Clappison's Corners.

"Calls from parents have started to trickle in", said Boyle.

"Some are just curious about what happened, but others want to know if it involves their kids in any way. We don't want to speculate or anything. We're just trying to get the kids registered and move on."

The association has already appointed two new presidents for the executive board, which governs the league's 800 female and male players aged 5 to 18.

Neighbours of the Janeses along Concession 6 West are surprised at the child porn allegations.

"I didn't think this sort of thing happened in this part of the city. You see it on TV and read about it in magazines but never think it's going to be anywhere close to you", said a one woman who didn't want to be identified.

"I'm speechless", said another neighbour.

"Last Friday, I had them over to my house for pie. They've been perfect neighbours and haven't bothered us at all."

OPP staff Sergeant Bob Matthews said the seizure of the files as well as about 200 pornographic magazines was one of Project P's largest hauls this year.

He said the investigation began with a tip in early April from the U.S. Customs Service, which said someone in Ontario had been sending child porn overseas via the Internet.


Copyright © 1997 by The Hamilton Spectator. All Rights Reserved. Reprinted with permission.