- 1. Short title.
- 2. Definitions.
- 2.1 Compilations
- 3. Definition of "copyright"
/ Simultaneous fixing
/ Networks, programming undertakings
/ Rentals of computer programs
/ Telecommunication to the public.
- 4. Definition of "publication"
/ When work not deemed to be published, etc.
/ Unpublished works
/ When author deemed to be resident.
WORKS IN WHICH COPYRIGHT MAY SUBSIST
- 5. Conditions for subsistence of copyright
/ Minister may extend copyright to other countries
/ Copyright extended to Universal Copyright Convention countries
/ Copyright in records and contrivances
/ Nature of copyright
/ What constitues rental
/ Reciprocity protection preserved.
TERM OF COPYRIGHT
- 6. Term of copyright.
- 6.1 Anonymous and pseudonymous works.
- 6.2 Anonymous and pseudonymous works of joint authorship.
- 7. Term of copyright in posthumous works.
- 8. [Repealed.]
- 9. Cases of joint authorship
/ Nationals of other countries.
- 10. Term of copyright in photographs
/ Author of photograph.
- 11. Term of copyright in records, perforated rolls, etc.
- 11.1 Cinematographs.
- 12. Where copyright belongs to Her Majesty.
OWNERSHIP OF COPYRIGHT
- 13. Ownership of copyright
/ Engraving, photograph or portrait
/ Work made in the course of employment
/ Assignment of right by owner.
- 14. Limitation where author is first owner of copyright
/ Ownership in case of partial assignment
- 14.1 Moral rights
/ No assignment of moral rights
/ No waiver by assignment
/ Effect of waiver.
- 14.2 Term
- 15. [Repealed.]
- 16. Application for licence to print book in Canada by others than owner
/ Form stating retail price
/ Deposit with application
/ Notice to owner.
- 17. Where owner does not proceed, application may be granted
/ Where two or more persons apply for a licence.
- 18. Rights of licensee
/ Undertaking by licensee
/ Endorsements on book.
- 19. Cancellation of licence
- 20. Suppression by copyright owner
- 21. Second or later edition
- 22. Licence to publish book in serial form
/ Draft contract.
- 23. Terms of licence
/ Deposit with application
/ Importation of magazines, etc., not prohibited.
- 24. Definitions.
- 25. Licence deemed a contract
/ Licensee to have right of action
/ Licence declared forfeited on default
/ Particulars in Register.
- 26. Fees paid to Minister
/ Deposits and royalty paid to Minister
/ Payment of royalty stamped on book
/ Application of provisions regarding licences.
INFRINGEMENT OF COPYRIGHT
- 27. Infringement of copyright
/ Acts not constituting infringement of copyright
/ Further exceptions
/ Infringement by personal action
/ Public performance for private profit without owner's consent
/ Restriction on paragraph (2)(i) or (j).
- 28. Report in newspaper of political speech no infringement.
- 28.01 Interpretation
/ Retransmission of local signals
MORAL RIGHTS INFRINGEMENT
- 28.1 Infringement generally.
- 28.2 Nature of right of integrity
/ Where prejudice deemed
/ When work not distorted, etc.
- 29. to 33. [Repealed.]
- 34. Civil remedies
/ Moral rights
/ Presumptions respecting copyright and ownership
- 35. Liability for infringing copyright
/ Proof of profits.
- 36. Protection of separate rights
- 37. Concurrent jurisdiction of Federal Court
- 38. Ownership of copies and plates
- 39. Injunction only remedy when defendant not aware of copyright
- 40. No injunction in case of a building
/ Penalties not to apply.
- 41. Time limit for actions.
- 42. Offences and punishment
/ Possession and performance offences and punishment
/ Power of court to deal with copies or plates.
- 43. Infringement in case of dramatic, operatic or musical work
/ Change or suppression of title or author's name.
IMPORTATION OF COPIES
- 44. Importation of certain copyright works prohibited
- 44.1 Definitions
/ Power of court
/ Order of court
/ How application made
/ Court may require security
/ Application for directions
/ Minister may allow inspection
/ Where applicant fails to commence an action
/ Where court finds in plaintiff's favour
/ Other remedies not affected.
- 45. No importation where right or licence to reproduce in Canada granted
/ Notice required of intention to import
/ Satisfactory evidence
/ Application of provisions regarding importation.
- 46. Copyright Office.
- 47. Powers of Commissioner and Registrar.
- 48. Registrar.
- 49. Register of Copyrights, certificates and certified copies.
- 50. Other duties of Registrar.
- 51. [Repealed.]
- 52. Control of business and officials.
- 53. Register to be evidence
/ Certificate to be evidence
- 54. Register of Copyrights
/ Entries by authors, etc.
/ Single entry sufficient
/ Inspection and extracts
/ Former registration effective
/ Subsisting copyright.
- 55. Who may apply for registration
/ Recovery of damages.
- 56. Form of application
- 57. Registration of a grant of interest in copyright
/ When grant is void
/ Rectification of Register by the Court.
- 58. Execution of instruments in United Kingdom, etc.
/ Execution of instruments in foreign countries
/ Seals to be evidence
/ Oral testimony.
- 59. Fees regulations.
- 60. Subsistence of substituted right
/ Where author has assigned the right
/ Definition of "author"
/ Works made before this Act in force.
CLERICAL ERRORS NOT TO INVALIDATE
- 61. Clerical errors do not invalidate
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- 62. Governor in Council to make rules and forms
/ Rights saved.
- 63. No copyright unless under this Act
- 64. Interpretation
/ Non-infringement re certain designs
- 64.1 Non-infringement re useful article features
- 64.2 Application of Act to topographies
/ Computer programs
- 65. [Repealed.]
- 66. Establishment
/ Members deemed public service employees.
- 66.1 Duties of chairman
/ Absence or incapacity of chairman
/ Duties of vice-chairman.
- 66.2 Remuneration and expenses.
- 66.3 Conflict of interest prohibited
/ Termination of conflict of interest.
- 66.4 Staff
/ Technical assistance.
- 66.5 Concluding matters after membership expires
- 66.51 Interim decisions.
- 66.52 Variation of decisions.
- 66.6 Regulations
/ Publication of proposed regulations
- 66.7 General powers, etc.
/ Enforcement of decisions
/ Effect of variation of decision.
- 66.8 Studies.
- 66.9 Report
COLLECTIVE ADMINISTRATION OF PERFORMING RIGHTS
- 67. Performance and communication rights
/ Filing of statements of royalties
/ Where no previous statement
/ Effective period of statements
/ Prohibition of enforcement.
- 67.1 Publication of statements
/ Board to consider statements and objections.
- 67.2 Certification with alterations
/ Preferential royalty rate
/ Effect of fixing royalties
/ Right of action barred if royalties tendered or paid.
- 67.3 Continuation of rights
- 68. Rights of societies, etc.
- 69. [Repealed.]
/ Radio performances in places other than theatres
/ Expenses to be taken into account
- 70. [Repealed.]
COLLECTIVE ADMINISTRATION OF COPYRIGHT
- 70.1 Definition of "licensing body"
- 70.2 Application to fix amount of royalty, etc.
/ Fixing royalties, etc.
- 70.3 Agreement
- 70.4 Effect of Board decision.
EXAMINATION OF AGREEMENTS
- 70.5 Definition of "Director"
/ Filing agreement with the Board
/ Access by Director
/ Request for examination.
- 70.6 Examination and fixing of royalty
ROYALTIES FOR RETRANSMISSION
- 70.61 Filing of statements of proposed royalties
/ Times for filing
/ Effective period of statements.
- 70.62 Publication of statements
/ Board to consider statements and objections.
- 70.63 Certification
/ No discrimination
- 70.64 Special case
- 70.65 Effect of fixing royalties.
- 70.66 Claims by non-members
/ Exclusion of remedies
/ Regulations and orders.
- 70.67 Variation by Governor in Council
OWNERS WHO CANNOT BE LOCATED
- 70.7 Circumstances in which licence may be issued by Board
/ Conditions of licence
/ Payment to owner.
CONVENTION OF ROME
- 71. Adherence to Rome Copyright Convention.
SCHEDULES I, II, III